Jackie Griggs, CNM – Works at the Heights and Beaumont Offices.*
Jackie is a Certified Nurse-Midwife with a Masters degree in nursing who has delivered over 800 babies, yet can still recall each as an “honored, unique event.” She has worked in women’s health since receiving her first nursing degree in 1979 from San Jacinto College.
Jackie’s experience includes working in several different settings: homes, birth centers, clinics, and hospital care. She attended the University of Texas in Galveston (UTMB) to receive her Masters degree as an Advanced Practice Nurse in 2001 and continued to help women at home and birth centers since that time.
She is the mother of five sons, three born at home with the assistance of midwives.
Jackie’s role at Bay Area Birth Center
Jackie founded Bay Area Birth Center as a freestanding, licensed birth center in 2006, and is the unwavering force behind its commitment to personalized care for every mother. The personal touch she brings to the center is enhanced by her past experience as President of the Association of Texas Midwives, the statewide organization that promotes midwifery in Texas. She is the current President of the Texas Coalition of Birth Centers, a Board Certified Lactation Consultant and a strong proponent of breastfeeding.
Education & Certifications
- Certified Professional Midwife (CPM), NARM Exam (2007)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM), American College of Nurse-Midwives (2001)
- Masters in Nursing, specializing in midwifery from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (2001)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing from the University of Texas at Galveston (1998)
- Board Certified Lactation Consultant (1995, IBCLC)
- Associates Degree in Nursing (RN), San Jacinto College, Houston, TX (1993)
- Documented by the Texas Department of Health as a midwife, since 1990
- Apprentice Midwife with Mickey Friederichs, Pasadena, TX (1989-1992)
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), San Jacinto College, Houston, TX (1979)
- Current Ongoing Certifications: CPR, Neonatal Resuscitation, and Fetal Monitoring
Awards & Career Highlights
- Recipient of the Hazel Corbin Award (2001) from the Maternity Center Association of the United States (Award for best student midwifery research 2001)
- Accredited La Leche League Leader since 1985
- Supported women with over 1,000 births in hospitals, birth centers, and homes
Memberships & Volunteering
- La Leche League International, Leader in Pasadena, TX since 1987
- Member, Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA), member since 1995
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM), member since 1999
- American Association of Birth Centers, member since 2005
- Texas Coalition of Birth Centers, President, since 2009
- Association of Texas Midwives (ATM)
- Past President 2005-2008
- Member since 1986
- Association of Houston Midwives
- Founding Member
- Treasurer 1993-2003
*These locations are offices only, not birth centers.